Thursday, July 16, 2009

Time for my e-learning journey to begin . . .

I can't believe that I've just used the "journey" word - it is now a word that is now associated with ejected, rejected and dejected reality show contestants.

I remember the days when I was a new technology native (and they were many years ago back when my parents bought their first digital clock radio). It felt so natural to be able to program the time and set the alarm for my parents. I had never seen a digital clock radio before and my parents were standing back, afraid to touch it and scared that they may do something wrong and break their new possession. Along comes Miss Jane and dives in head first - pressing buttons here, there and all over the shop. Within minutes the clock radio was up and running and the alarm time set and tested - much to the amazement of my parents and with muttered "how the hell did she do that!?"

Now, in the midst of 2009 and surrounded by the tech-savvy students in both my classroom and uni, I feel less of a native. How do I get all the sensational effects in Powerpoint? How can I include a you tube clip (and make it work)? In this area, I am a complete digital immigrant and feel as my parents must have many years ago.

While I am a facebook, skype and twitter member and user, I do not consider myself to be a native or an immigrant to the Digital Age. Ford (CQU, 2008) coined a phrase "digital resident" - it is one that I feel apt and applicable to myself at this stage of my journey.

Hopefully, my temporary residency will be made more permanent!

3 comments:

  1. Hello Miss Jane,

    I am with you all the way. I remember the rather large, actually enormous, bulky but sooooooo sophisticated mobile phone my father brought many, many years ago. It was the height of fashion and everyone was envious of you if you owned one of these new pieces of technology, that came complete in their own suitcase!

    I feel a little bit like that in a way. My knowledge at this stage is way back with the old phone, yet my aspirations are to bring myself into this new and amazing world of modern technology. It really is an exciting journey.

    Looking forward to following you along the way and learning these wonderful tools together.

    : ) Kerri.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jane...I love the alarm clock story. How things of changed. I sense with the rapid change of technology that I may feel like an digital immigrant for the rest of my life. New stuff is coming so fast...I'm not sure how to keep abreast of all the changes. I'm worried as soon as I work out this blog stuff it will be on the shelf along with the video's and cd's. Catch you soon. Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading more of Prensky - I'm pretty sure that I am a pretty heavily accented resident. I know that I still like to have hard copy and will print out what the natives will read on line. Though, I am a fan of online newspapers and have not read a hard copy in ages.

    I have heard of "Kindle" and how you can electronically download books to it. This scares me as I love books in all shapes and sizes - I love the feel of the old leather and the pages, the smell, the weight of a hard back or the dog-eared and slightly torn copy of a favourite book that has been read over and over again.

    Sometimes I am afraid of change, and will like to keep some of the "old ways" about me.

    ReplyDelete